Thursday, January 15, 2009

things that make me say "SICK!" - volume one

I have a tendency to use the phrase "That's sick!" for just about anything I find disgusting, nasty or strange. I often get made fun of for it, but that's ok, because sometimes things really can be totally sick! I've decided to keep a record of the random gross things I encounter during my travels and post pictures so that people won't miss me quite as much. :) This will be the first installment and I'm sure many more will follow as Asia is full of interesting, I mean sick, things.

My first sight of the beloved Kimchi. This was from a traditional Korean restaurant we visited our first week here. I did taste it and it was...umm...not delicious.

Just another trip to the grocery store - chicken, fish, beef...and octopus tentacles.

Most public restrooms have a special trash can next to the toilet for toilet paper disposal. I guess they believe that flushing it will clog the pipes. On scale of really nasty things this is near the top. Definitely sick...and stinky, too!

Take a look at the little image of a dog in the window of this butcher shop we came across one day. We knew this about Korea but seeing it confirmed like this was a little disturbing.

On a trip to the Seoul Zoo we came across this poor little guy. He must have fallen out of a tree and died right there next to the bear enclosure. All the zookeepers just walked right on by him.

This is the Korean interpretation of the Native American Indian. They've had a lot of practice making artificial food look good but really need to work on producing life-like mannequins for their museums.

China is also sick! We made a trip to a Chinese Walmart Supercenter while visiting Beijing. A lot of items were familiar but I was a little startled to see these frozen pig's feet in the meat section. I guess you just scoop some into a bag and take home to make a yummy soup. I think I see some poo still on a couple of them.

Also from the Chinese Walmart - some kind of animal carcass just hanging out in the main aisle. I guess their customers demand the freshest possible meat, but this really made me think twice about ever going to Walmart again!

2 comments:

travelgirl said...

You think sticky pig's feet are sick? Weird.

Unknown said...

I agree that all of these things are weird!