Sunday, October 5, 2008

Background

First off, let me just say that yes, I know I am really bad at blogging. I know, I've been in Korea now for at least 10 days and haven't posted anything yet. Well, that's going to change...starting now.

I wanted to just write a little about how this journey happened in the first place since some of you may be asking "why in the world would she move to South Korea?". My friend Holly and I have talked and dreamed for a long time about taking some sort of an extended trip to get the travel bug out of our system. We could never quite figure out how to do such a thing while still being able to support ourselves while away. Student loan payments don't just go away while you are out of the country! Anyway, this past spring when the idea of becoming an English teacher in South Korea presented itself, the whole thing just felt right. Good salary...check. Only working 30 hours a week...double check. Benefits including severance pay, health insurance and vacation time...triple check. And best of all is the chance to see another part of the world for an extended period of time!

We worked with a job recruiter to find a position that we were both happy with and then took on the long process of getting our work visa. It was a ton of paperwork but well worth it! The school purchased our plane tickets and after many hours of preparation we took off on September 23rd.

0 comments: